Monday, September 26, 2011

Action Trip: The A-Team & The Losers

Today, I'm going to combine two movies in one article. Although I did have a dilemma as whether to combine Losers and Colombiana (overloaded with Zoe Saldana's sexiness), I finally decided otherwise. Why? Because of the following reasons:

A. Both movies were action packed.
B. Both did not lack the handsome young heartthrob namely Bradley Cooper and Chris Evans
C. They were both lead by extraordinary men (Liam Neeson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)
D. Both scored poorly in the reviews most likely for having been compared to their originals.
E. Both had fine lady leads that probably made some guys drool.
F. And lastly, both had its charming moments although the other had been teeming with dark jokes and obvious incompetence that made it more hilarious than the other.

If you've been reading my previous reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would comment that I don't usually depreciate a movie. Well, I'm pretty guilty of mostly reviewing only movies I love.

The A-Team



Starred by Liam Neeson as their boss Col. "Hannibal" Smith, the team's specialty is Special Forces ops. I'm no military buff but there was no need for any military knowledge to understand the gist of the story. It already stood out with its characters' colorful chemistry. Director Carnahan made no mistake selecting Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copley and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson as Liam Neeson's subordinates.


Before I knew that the A-Team had already existed in the 80s, I told myself B.A. reminded me of Mr. T. The movie made me curious enough as to seek answers to what all the ruckus was about the 80s series. I Wiki-ed it and it did not catch me by surprise that Mr. T. was the original B.A.

I may no further expand my interest in talking about Jessica Biel, but let it be known that I am a fan of hers. I liked her in Blade, Stealth and 7th Heaven. Her beauty is simple and not so voluptuous compared to Angelina Jolie.

No, this is not a comparison between Jessica Beal and Angelina Jolie. Neither is it between Liam Neeson and Sean Connery. It's just one of those hilarious scenes I found. I'm sure some of you are familiar where this came from.


While watching the movie, I was questioning my friend if it were possible for Liam Neeson to be the next Sean Connery. He does, after all, have the same of skill set and vocal chord range, even though I've rarely seen Mr. Neeson starring in romantic films. My friend looked at me with the widest of eyes feeling exasperated. His words definitely explained why, "Liam Neeson is Liam Neeson. Sean Connery is Sean Connery. Both are different men and no one can be the next Sean Connery so as the next Liam Neeson. They both have made a name for themselves already." I had to suppress a chuckle at my friend's allegiance to the two men.

The Losers



Doing Special Ops was just part of The Losers story. Someone was out there for revenge. They also had a peculiar choice for a bad guy to mess with. He killed someone who made the tiniest mistake.

Chris Evan partially plays a concerned uncle rooting for his nieces soccer game. He also has no sense of charisma which makes this movie more hilarious.


"Go Petunias!"

Jeffrey Dean Morgan was one tough boss. It's a surprise why no one else has bothered to give him more action roles. As Clay in this particular movie, one of his weaknesses had been dating bad women- with his boys reminding him of one who specifically wanted to blow him up. Meeting Zoe Saldana had been bad news for them. But her offering them a way to come back to their country and clear their names was a chance difficult to pass up.

One of the movie's saving grace. I hope the video above hasn't spoiled the entire plot as to decide not to watch it. The Losers had its funny moments.

It took me some time to write this review because I had to go to Youtube to pick trailers. While doing so, I couldn't help but check out some new zombie movies. I'm a sucker for zombie flicks but never had the guts to do a review about it because I'd have to watch them all over again and I didn't like Shaun of the Dead which have had outstanding reviews as almost everybody who watched it just loves Shaun, even Romero himself.

For those who've read this, most are wondering why I don't like comparing movies to their origins. Most critics have been bitter in commenting how the original should sue the movie for giving it a bad rep or for deviating from what was expected of it. I'm particularly guilty of such in doing The Last Air Bender. However, I'd just like to make it clear that if a movie could stand alone and please people enough, then it passes for me. In a sense, the remake may have just been that bridge for that person to get interested in its parent series, book, or movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.