Friday, May 7, 2010

Signs of Deception

Yep, I'm not sure if this was caused by poor translation or manga artists have dinasorial (Sorry for my newly coined term. The word racial seemed so inappropriate.) discrimination against dinosaurs.

I was reading an article I came across in Yahoo from hitchedmag.com titled Dating 101: How to Tell if Your Guy is Lying and this was a PRIZE WINNER. Please take note that all credits go to the real author of the article Nicole Jurick. I just loved the way she summarized these signs.


The Signs of Deception

These signals should throw up a red flag:

Listen for:
  • Stalling for time: "Can we talk about this later?" or repeating the question.
  • Defensiveness: "I don't have to answer that."
  • Excuses: "I would never do that." Or, "I would never jeopardize our relationship."
  • Searching for specifics: "What's your point?" Or, "What are you trying to figure out?"
  • What ifs: "What if I said yes?"
  • Amnesia: "Not that I can remember." Or, "To the best of my knowledge..."
  • Details: Truthful men tell you the truth and answer your question, not tell you the whole story behind the truth. Deceptive men load up their response with more details than are necessary to answer your question.
  • Guilt twists: "Do you really think I would do that?" Or, "I thought you trusted me."
  • Sounds: Clearing his throat, coughing, voice change
  • Qualifiers: "To be perfectly honest..." Or, "To tell you the truth..."

Look for:

  • Fidgeting: Leg movements, shifting, tapping his fingers
  • Gesturing: Such as rubbing or wringing hands
  • Adjusting: Messing with his watch, glasses, or jewel
  • Biting or inspecting his nails
  • Abnormal eye contact
  • Cleaning up his surroundings: Particularly when he's not usually a cleaner
  • Wiping sweat

Here's the link for the article

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/relationships/24472/dating-101-how-to-tell-if-your-guy-is-lying

For the record, this is based according to general observations. Be wary of those who have studied the ways of expert lying. There are others who are born with the "lying gene" or those who we call "compulsive liars". The best advise I can give you is, know your partner. As Nicole had said in her article, make a mental picture of what is his/her "WHAT IS NORMAL" characteristic.

1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.