Monday, August 17, 2009

Depression Education

I’m a 23 year-old female experiencing non-permanent, weather and event independent depression. What is there to say? Right now, I’m feeling it again.


Have you ever felt that your world is crumbling in front of you because you’re a failure? Or experienced not wanting to get out of the bed upon waking up because it seems that room is closing in? What about feeling that everybody’s looking at you, criticizing your every move? Without you knowing the answer, that is qualified as unexplained depression.


It’s hard for me to explain what this feeling is. I just know I have to press the keys of the keyboard for me to at least reduce the heavy weight pinning my breathing lungs and crushing my blood-pumping heart.


I’m sure a lot of people are saying that I’m not normal (Indeed, I’m not!) and that I should learn to deal with it. But hell, how can you cope with something you don’t exactly understand? It drives me crazy when someone close advises me to breathe in and out, relax, and take it one step at a time. It just wants me to cry and scream, “You’re not helping at all!!!


Now, what? I guess I just wanted to let that out. A word of advice for those who are attempting to help depressed people: if you haven’t experienced genuine depression, there is nothing you can say to make them feel better. And please stop talking about us being able to successfully overcome depression without some decent guidance.


Never compare us to you. You may have conquered heavy obstacles in your lives but this is different. The problem exists within us and our principles and mindsets are not capable of helping us- no matter how strong or intelligent we are. You’ll just have to accept that it’s not always in your capacity to push us through these ordeals and all you can do is support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.