Monday, August 8, 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Movie

With a US Box Office of 54 Million and a handful of good reviews, who wouldn't be tempted to watch the movie themselves.







Rise of the Planet of the Apes (which I shall now call Rise in this entire article) was one hell of a good movie. It's a cocktail bowl of sci-fi, action, and drama in one single film. It honestly made me remember Twilight when Caesar was climbing up the tree, The Patriot when he had rode the horse and signaled an attack, King Kong when the Gorilla leaped through the air and a whole lot of Jane Goodall series. And at the end of this roller coaster ride, you'll have to recall having doubts on where your allegiance lies. Are you for the apes or the humans?





At the moment, the intensity and greatness of the movie to me is still a confusion. I have no idea where to start. The cinematography was stunning. The way they took advantage of advanced performance capture technology used in Avatar and Lord of the Rings at its fullest deserve nothing less than an A-score. There were scenes that I imagined wouldn't have looked as effective as it did if they had not filmed it in the position they did, such as when the apes leaped through the neighborhood where the leaves were falling. The simplicity in the apes' gestures and sign language was as realistic as it got. I'm not a primatologist but it looked close enough to those I see in Nat Geo. And if there were illogical occurrences in such film, Rupert Wyatt and WETA Digital made sure that it would be unnoticeable by keeping the scenes breath-taking and emotionally captivating .



Jane Goodall, one of the world's famous primatologist, is known for her interactions with chimpanzees.



As for the non-primate interactions in Rise, John Lithgow as James Franco's father stirred emotions in me that made me struggle not to cry in various scenes of his frustrations and illness-ridden role. They all had chemistry and not the love type. Anger, fear, abandonment, loneliness, dominance, aggressiveness, camaraderie, leadership and kinship are only a part of the emotions depicted in the almost 120 minute show.





With Andy Serkis' Interview



Andy Serkis, the person behind Caesar's appearance, played his role with soulfulness and heart no holds barred. Another triumph for the pioneer in this technology with a portfolio including his portrayal or Gollum and King Kong. He's definitely someone I shall include in my TO WATCH OUT FOR list.



I'm definitely expecting a sequel on this movie. Especially when in the end of the film, there was still the bothering issue of nose bleeds somewhat depicting a Contagion or Outbreak possibility.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I liked this movie as well. While I don't think it was "amazing", I do think it was a solid movie worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I went to your website and it was awesome. It's been a long time since I've ever seen a decent movie so this was a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.