Friday, August 5, 2011

Sam Siciliano's Blood Feud Book



I love it when my desire for reading is invigorated. I just finished reading Sam Siciliano's Blood Feud. I bought this book at a book sale when I was in my early teenage years but did not have the aptitude to read it as I did now.



The story is about two ancient vampires who have grown to hate each other through the years that one will not rest until the other is dead.







Spoiler Alert

( I hope I was able to summarize it in a way that most details in the story are still kept a mystery.)



It starts when a boy named Alex is convinced by his lover, a vampire's assistant named Tracy, to kill a male vampire named Ruthven. And the story continues after the sister of Alex, Mary, saw Tracy again in her hometown after a long time since her brother had disappeared.



Mary discovers the truth about her brother's ex-lover with the help of Ruthven's hired private investigator. Later, a band composed of a priest, her brother's best friend, Mary and the PI set out to kill the vampiress, a Madame Rambouillet, who they believed was the source of all evil. As they reached her lair, their fate changes after realizing they had killed her decoy.



They set out once again, this time without the PI to kill Ruthven with a deal that they will be left unharmed. Eventually, after a long day of darkness and torture, the two vampires square off leaving Mary and her crew badly battered but alive.



There are some excerpts that make this book unforgettable. This is one of the two I liked.

"It's rather ironic. I was raised on stories about the devil and demons. As a child, they were very real to me, and when I was in the seminary, the devil was still treated as a theological doctrine. When he went out of fashion in the sixties, it was a relief. Human evil was powerful and inexplicable enough, and it was manifest all around us.The devil seemed a scapegoat, and obvious rationalization to justify our sinful natures. I was glad to be rid of the old horned fellow, but now..."
The reason I was drawn to the book in the first place was because of the poem written in French situated in the first pages entitled "Les Metamorphoses du Vampire" (aka "Metamorphosis of the Vampire") and Deullum (aka The Duel) in the book's Part 2 both written by Charles Baudelaire.



Blood Feud isn't as well written as books of the world-renowned Stephen King, Charlaine Harris or J.K. Rowling. There were instances I would be confused on line ownership and some lines were very long without a description of what actions transgressed during the conversation. Other sentences lacked pauses.



However, even with these pointed out, I won't deny Siciliano's description of the story's atmosphere, in it's vividness and darkness, was well thought of. I almost wanted to skip some parts to learn the ending. Each event boring down with a curiosity demanding to be satiated. His story,although lacking that writer's crafty play of words, was overall interesting and original.



If I were asked, if I would read more from this author, the answer is a definite yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.